Probate is the process of paying the bills of a deceased person, filing taxes, and distributing the balance of the estate to those persons who are entitled to receive it. At the Law Office of Stephen Ross in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, our lawyers have the experience required to guide you through the process as efficiently as possible. We represent executors, personal administrators and beneficiaries in Pottstown and the surrounding Tri-County area of Pennsylvania.
Guiding You Through the Pennsylvania Probate Process
The Pennsylvania probate process typically begins by determining if the deceased person had a will — and if so, proving that the will has been executed correctly and the person creating the will was of sound mind and undue influence. If the person did not have a will, then the deceased person's assets will be distributed according to Pennsylvania's law of intestate succession.
There are five basic steps to probate:
- Filing for probate: The court will prove the will and appoint a personal representative of the estate.
- Publishing a notice to creditors: The personal representative must publish a notice of the probate proceeding so that creditors can file claims against the estate for debts owed by the decedent.
- Inventorying assets: The assets of the estate must be marshaled and valued. Certain assets such as real estate may be sold.
- Paying debts and taxes: The personal administrator is responsible for paying legitimate bills as well as final taxes owed by the decedent.
- Distributing the assets to beneficiaries: After all expenses are paid, the balance of the estate is distributed to the beneficiaries who are entitled to receive it.
Our lawyers will do everything we can to keep the proceeding simple, while meeting all of the requirements of the probate court. We offer flexible payment arrangements, including flat fees and hourly fees.
Learn more about Pennsylvania probate proceedings:
- Representing personal administrators
- Tax consequences of administering an estate
- Will contests and probate litigation
Contact Our Pottstown and Reading Probate Lawyers Today
Our attorneys are ready to help you get positive results. Contact us to discuss your case with our Pennsylvania probate proceedings lawyers. We serve Pottstown, West Chester, Reading, Norristown, King of Prussia, Limerick, Barto, Pennsburg, Spring City, Philadelphia and surrounding communities in Pennsylvania.